Ensuring Your Fixer-Upper Home Is Safe For Your Kids: Factors To Consider

When you buy your first home and it is a fixer-upper, you go into the process knowing that there will quite a bit of work that you need to put into your new home. However, if you also have children, you will need to keep your children's safety in mind before you even allow them to set foot in the house. Children are more susceptible to health issues from exposure to certain chemicals and other dangerous elements as well as have a tendency to find the most dangerous areas of your home to explore and play in. Get to know some of the steps you need to take right away before your children even set foot in your new fixer-upper home to ensure they are as safe as possible.

Lead Paint Abatement

Lead paint is one of the most common issues that can occur in fixer-upper houses because these houses are often older homes. Lead paint was used prevalently in homes up until it was officially banned in 1978 for use in homes within the United States. This means that if your home was built before 1978 and has not been updated, the paint is likely lead-based.

Lead paint can cause numerous health issues including damage to the brain, nervous system, kidneys, blood, and essentially all other vital organs. Children, the elderly, and women who are pregnant are the most susceptible to these effects even in minimal amounts. You will need to hire a lead paint abatement specialist from a company like Colfax Corporation to remove the lead paint safely. Any inhalation of that dust while in removal stages or as it deteriorates naturally can cause major medical damage.

Mold Remediation

Mold is also highly toxic and can easily be found in fixer-upper homes, particularly those that have leaky or damaged roofs or foundations. Mold grows in patches or sets of circular spots and expands and can appear black, green, or white depending on the type of mold.

Black mold is by far the most dangerous type of mold, and it can easily grow in leaky windows, under or on bathroom floors, and in other areas prone to moisture. This mold, if it grows for prolonged periods of time, can look like dirt buildup in your home.

If you notice signs of mold, the first thing you want to do is get a mold and mildew removal spray and spray all areas where mold can be seen. Allow the spray to work for about 10-20 minutes and then wipe away the spray and the mold. Be sure to wear protective eyewear, a face mask, and gloves to ensure that you do not inhale or come into contact with the mold. If this spray does not eradicate all of the mold, you can contact a mold remediation specialist to use stronger removal chemicals to fully destroy the mold in your home.

Now that you have an idea of a few of the things that you need to take care of before you allow your children into your fixer-upper home, you can get started and make sure that your home is safe and healthy for your children.